Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The importance of my early community....

I have been contemplating community a lot recently. I am living in this city to create art and it is unbelievably difficult! I find myself returning to "why do I do this?" It made me go way back to the beginning. Of course in every young performer, who finds they have some inkling of talent a piece of them feels seen, recognized for something special and yes that element was there for a young insecure me. A girl who found she could sing and be seen. But I am only now truly recognizing what it really was about that time that made it life changing. It was the people, it was the community, a community unlike anything else I could have ever created between the walls of my high school. There is something to creating art and exploring other humans and emotions with a community of performers that brings you close like nothing else.


I will admit watching Glee all year has brought me back down memory lane to these wonderful people who changed my life at an early age. A few of the people I met during this time are still a part of my core, time will pass but they are always there. I find in NYC one person stands out as one of the most generous and kind hearted friends who has come back into my life and I see her far too little. When I see friends from home here it truly grounds me, "Remember who you are Hill!"
There are so many of these people I don't see at all anymore, little updates on facebook but they are distant. However, I still care! I want them well. I love that three of them are creating again together!

Between this realization and LG coming together so beautifully in honor of Ben, I want to hug all these people from my very important high school years! What a beautiful place I grew up, what an incredible community I was lucky enough to have in Youtheatre! The gift of this group is amazing! Not to create Broadway stars, not that this impossible, but believe me I wouldn't wish the madness of this career on anyone. But what you learn is far more important community, team work, exploration of human life and emotions, confidence and acceptance. Those that might not have an artistic outlet or a place to fit within their high schools find a home for 4 weeks each summer! Also 3 shows in 4 weeks is an absolute miracle! I say it once again it's a gift.

I am beginning to find my community in NYC in the Active Theatre and I had an incredible family in the MFA class of 2008. So what is clear from revisiting the past is,  I don't do this to be a star. I do this connect with my fellow humans to create together, to teach and connect with the audience. Sadly in this city I find far to often it's about personal gain and becoming a star and to me that's meaningless unless you are truly connecting with someone. I long to continue to find my communities in art and I am so thankful for the beginning and the other life changing communities at theaters and schools along my journey thus far. Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more Hillary. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete