Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Human connection and art.....

I have not written in ages. I think about it all the time as I see moments of human connection happen every day that I could reflect on. But finally, here I am.

I am at a crossroads in life and with that human connection largely comes into play . Should I stay where I am, help to build this artistic community and explore the friendships...etc. I am finding here? It is easier to connect here for sure. The madness of the city and survival is not in my way at every turn. However, Can I do what I want to creatively? I think that is the big question for me, what do I want to do creatively and how can I do it and still maintain good relationships? That is what I shall reflect on once my current show closes.

But the bigger issue on my mind right now is the Artist and Human Connection. As Artists we study humans, we create them, find their psychology, tell their stories. If you are an actor, you connect with others on stage or camera...etc, so why is it so hard in life? I have watched artists for years and I have observed that so often the art itself becomes more important than actually connecting with others. Lives get ruled by it. I have fallen into this trap, I am not innocent here. But I have also taken a lot of time to reflect on this and I now see I need and want great human connections in life more than anything. I am even a better actor for being more open to others. I don't want to put the job, project, show...etc. before those I care about. I am not saying not to invest in it but it seems to become so all consuming that the humans around vanish. It just seems so strange to me. I know this is a generalization, some have found a way to do it all, but many have not! I would say most!

Why is it so hard for artists to have relationships when this is what they are exploring in their work? I am sure this happens in other careers as well but this is where I have experience, these are the people I meet. I realize we travel, I realize nothing about our lives is conventional but is it really better to be alone and be an artist? To put our work above all else? I just can't see how that is right!!

I am on this kick because this has come up so often over the years in some of my closest relationships and my tolerance for it is waning. On numerous occasions I have watched good people lose themselves because a project became more important than the people closest to them. I  have seen them alienate dear friends, lovers, family members...etc. by getting upset or by only talking about themselves and never taking in the other person. I believe, we need compassion and should love people, we need to learn to look at the world through the others eyes for great art, great relationships, great everything! Am I a idealist? Yes!! But this just seems like common sense to me. And I am not saying everything has to be rosy...etc. Conflict will arise in any collaborative endeavors but watch when the project becomes bigger than the people closest to you.

Artists reflect... Lets not be alone, Lets do this together and Lets see and feel each other as we do it. In these difficult times we need all the support we can get!! You've got mine!!!

In a wise man's words:
"It’s very important not to misunderstand what is meant by the idea of overcoming our self-cherishing attitudes. We are not saying that a spiritual practitioner should completely ignore or abandon the goal of self-fulfillment, rather we are advising him or her to overcome that small-minded selfishness that makes us oblivious to the well-being of others and to the impact our actions can have on them." -Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment