Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Heart Mind Connection....

The idea of two different kinds of intelligence, one of the mind and one of the heart, has been on my mind a lot lately. I felt this would be a good place to explore these thoughts as it truly relates to our own human connections. And if any one reads this I would love to hear your thoughts/experiences with these two intellectual centers. However, intellectual doesn't seem to be the right word for the heart, wisdom seems more accurate. I think a major human struggle is the idea of allowing these two centers to work together. Many don't choose to take on this struggle but it seems to be one of my passions in life. I am determined to explore and find this connection. I have recently come to believe that the best life for me would be one in which I contribute to opening hearts in this world. I believe the wisdom of the heart center can be the one most ignored or tucked away when it is actually the most wise part of our being.

We are a mind Society, we love ideas, concrete answers, those with higher ed degrees are revered 
(I am not putting down people with those degrees, I admire them immensely) but we put so much stock in the stuff of the mind. Believe me I have been sucked into that world. My mind has ruled for a long time. But I am glad to say my heart is strong and has always been there calling for my attention. Through my years of work in the arts, my new found love of body psychology and yoga and simply being the age I am, I can no longer just follow the brain. I see the mistakes and the wrong roads it's taken me down based on ideas of how I have been told I should live my life, or simply ignoring the wise being in me, the heart, yelling for my attention.

 There is great Vulnerability in being truly you, to be authentic. It is scary to truly let yourself go and open yourself up to people whether it be friends, romantic interests (especially) and sometimes family as well. To stop trying to be who society or your family/friends think you should be can be scary both personally and to those close to you. The mind struggles wrapping itself around the idea of something different, even among the most "open minded" of folks.

I am not sure that term makes sense to me. To be "Open Minded" you must also be "Open Hearted" and I don't necessarily believe they always go together right now. I think the term should be "Open Hearted!" Because I know when the heart is open so is the mind. I know this from my brief glimpses of feeling the wonder of these open moments in my life. In my opinion Fear is one of the biggest obstacles to allowing this Mind/Heart connection to occur. For example, in romantic relationships the fear of hurting again (if you have in the past), getting lost in the future of can it possibly work, making up your "mind" this is who I should be with, based on society but not your heart, or staying based on a fear of being alone...etc. We can get so lost in all this "mind stuff" we never take the chance to truly open our hearts to another. But if we never try, if we never risk, we can never truly find our hearts, we can never truly love.

It's easy to philosophize about and I know much harder to do, but so very worth it. Especially as we connect more to our hearts and find the mind/heart balance. I know this is all totally stream of consciousness but in my attempt to open myself up more I am putting this out there to you all. I know this entry sounds down on the the mind intelligence, this is not true at all but I believe that intelligence is far superior when the heart is open, giving it's vast wisdom to the mind, it's all about balance.

I would love to hear your thoughts, experiences..etc. Have you experienced this Mind/Heart balance? What has helped you to find this? Help me help others (and myself) find the courage to open their hearts in all areas of their lives even when faced with this crazy world. What is life, where is hope with out Love?

Much Thanks, This romantic idealist with the occasional mind of the cynic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment